Is it just me or do you also feel as if time is flying by?
I could have sworn Christmas was just here, and now all of a sudden Easter 2016 is happening.
It’s amazing when I was younger, time went by so much slower…
Let’s talk Easter.
I wanted to switch things up a bit this year. Instead of baking the usual carrot cake, I opted for something lets say different. Good different of course!
Jamaican Easter Bun…also known as “Bun and cheese.”
As you well know, my fiance Jamar grew up in Jamaica. A few Easters back he came home with this store bought Easter Bun. He told me back home, every time Easter rolls around, it’s tradition to eat this bun. Typically, it is eaten with slices of cheese. Any cheese will do; my preference is sharp cheddar cheese.
I figured this year, I would surprise him with a homemade one. True talk, the first 2 batches I made were a total failure. I was determined to perfect my recipe. Through trial and error and my future mother in laws advice, this recipe here is the winner. I was so excited when Jamar tasted it and was like yep this is the best Bun I have tasted. Score!
Don’ take my word for it, try it.
I think this will be our new Easter tradition.
- 3½ cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS butter, melted (1 TBS extra for greasing pans)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBS of browning
- 1 bottle of Guinness
- ¼ cup of milk (I used 1%)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cranberries (dried)
- ½ cup cherries
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease two loaf pans.
- In large mixing bowl, mix sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Mix until well incorporated.
- Next add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking powder, and flour.
- Slowly add Guinness, browning, and milk. Mix for about 1 minute.
- Fold in raisins, cranberries, and cherries.
- Pour in mixture evenly in both greased pans,
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- After time is up insert toothpick, if it comes out clean it is ready.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for about 30 minutes.