Summer is slowly fading away here on the east coast… Which I am a little bummed out about…sad face.
If you didn’t know already summer is my absolute favorite season. I don’t know , something about being able to be outside and soaking in all that Vitamin D makes me H-A-P-P-Y.
I honestly don’t know what happened to the weather. Last Friday, it was extra caliente (hot) and then come Saturday we were freezing our butts off! I literally had to pull out my fall hoodie!
I know what your thinking… fall and winter are coming whether I like it or not.
To prepare my mind, I had to vent a little by baking a delicious banana bread. What better way to drown my sorrows, than with stuffing my face with a big ‘ol slice of banana bread?…
Every time I make this bread my boyfriend thinks its ok to ask me to make frosting to go on top! Uh no buddy, the bread is already sweet enough and we don’t need to be scarfing down all that extra sugar! I swear he drives me bonkers at times, but I do love him.
The trick is to use super ripe bananas (yup the delicious looking brown ones!). Those bad boys make the bread extra deliciously sweet.
If your like me and experiencing a little anxiety about the cold front… BAKE THIS BREAD! It will make the transition smoother.
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (1 additional TBS for greasing loaf pan)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1½ cup of unbleached flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ buttermilk
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter your loaf pan.
- Using mixer, cream your sugar and butter. When you see it starts to get fluffy add your eggs and mix for an additional minute. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix flour,cinnamon,salt,baking soda, vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture to your butter mixture. Set your mixture on low, slowly add your buttermilk and bananas.
- Mix for approximately 2 minutes or until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Place mixture in pan, place in pre-heated oven.
- Bake for one hour. (test your bread by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean it is ready!!!)
- Remove from oven, allow the bread to cool for approximately 30 minutes.