Can you believe summer is coming to an end?
Seriously, what happened?…
Oh..by the way, where is my vacation?
Yeah, you heard correctly. My “vacation” was non-existent this summer.
My fiance, Jamar has been studying for the last year to take the LSAT exam. Every weeknight and weekend he hits the library for his intense studying. I really admire his ambition. I mean to work full time, then to go and study. That’s what I call commitment. This is part of the reason, “vacation” was a no-go . Luckily, he sits down for his LSAT’s at the end of September.
A few weekends ago, he asked me if I could please make him lunch and bring it to him. Weekends are usually pretty busy for me, but being the “superwoman” that I am, I told him sure.
The only problem was that I had no idea what I was going to cook!
Have you ever gone to the super market and just kind of walked around aimlessly, not really sure what you need to get. Yeah, that was me…
I stopped by the meat department and kind of just starred. I saw that the whole chicken was on sale. Then it hit me, I’ll make my favorite baked chicken! Believe it or not baked chicken is super simple, as long as you season it well. If you have things to do around the house, you can season the chicken and leave it in the oven until its ready. I know it sounds intimidating at first, but I promise it will be your go-to from now on. You can easily double the recipe as well. If you have a crowd to feed, double/triple the recipe!
- 4lb organic whole chicken (giblets removed)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup minced cilantro (Additional ½ cup bunch of cilantro to stuff inside of chicken)
- 1 TBS of extra virgin olive oil (additional ½ TBS to grease pan)
- 3 scallions, bottom removed
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 10 inches of butchers twine, to tie chicken legs together
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees
- Grease a 9 x 13 roasting pan with ½ TBS of olive oil.
- In a large bowl, rinse the chicken with vinegar.
- Add cumin, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, crushed red pepper, cilantro, and olive olive. Make sure to evenly distribute the seasonings on the chicken (both inside and outside ).
- Stuff the bunch of cilantro, scallions, and garlic inside chicken cavity.
- Place chicken in roasting pan (breast side up)
- Tie chicken legs with the butchers twine.
- Bake in the oven for 90 minutes/ until digital thermometer reads 165 or higher.
- Note: To tell if chicken is fully cooked, juices should run clear and meat should be firm